Updated: Jun 17, 2022
I remember a while ago, I watched this Netflix show (Marie Kondo was it?) that talks about being intentional about doing things and keeping things around you that spark Joy.
Lately, I find myself thinking about focusing on things that spark joy to help handle the blue days that undoubtedly come with this thing called life we are doing. I would like to write about the top 10 simple pleasures in my life that "spark joy"
1) Taking a walk in the park whilst listening to music: often I have to drag myself out of the house to do this, but halfway through my walk, I'm always thinking why didn't I do this sooner! Now the weather is better I'm being very intentional about taking walks. My favorite part of my walk is when a long-forgotten favorite song comes up on my music rotation and I am then flooded with memories of accompanying happy times.
2) Being near the ocean: I love the ocean. The smell of the ocean, taking a nap with the sea breeze. Sometimes when I have trouble sleeping I actually play an album of ocean sounds on Apple Music that's two hours long. If I'm still awake by the time the album is done, what's keeping me awake must be pretty serious. A dream of mine will be to retire to a seaside town and open a seafood bar that is right next to the beach. Obviously, I should have made enough money to be able to afford that lifestyle.
3) Good food: Food is truly one of God's greatest blessings, I have recently been a lot more open to more cuisines and wow, I've been amazed. I recently had Korean pork bone soup. I couldn't believe how content I was when I was finished. It doesn't take much to make me happy. I am quite looking forward to visiting East Asian countries such as Thailand, South Korea, and Japan partly because of their food cultures and the night food markets.
4) Looking at videos/pictures of some of my favorite kids: Some of my closest friends have kids, and I have been privileged to have witnessed to their growth. I love looking at the progress pictures/videos they've sent me of them with their infectious smiles. They bring such joy. However, this is strictly from the "cool aunty vibes" not necessarily any "ovary cravings". I'm not particularly fond of kids or necessarily like being around them, but there's a VIP list of kids I hold quite close to my heart.
5) Laughing with my friends and family: Thankfully I've been gifted with an amazing set of friends and family. I'm not one to have a lot of people in my space so I'm always grateful for the time I get to spend with people i actually want to hang out with. The best combination is having a great dinner at home with friends and conversations that just go on for hours. It's simply is one of life's quiet joys
6) Good Health: I have had instances where I have been in pain that all I could think about was how I didn't pay attention to certain parts of my body when I was not in pain. There was a time when I was admitted to the hospital with no family visiting and that was certainly unpleasant. Thankfully a couple of my friends found out and visited which made it a bit more bearable. My parents were understandably very worried but I kept them in the loop every step of the way. Being in a hospital bed even for a short period of time made me realize that good health was truly a joy to have. Going for a walk and being able to move my legs, being able to breathe easily, and being able to do everyday chores without pain gives me a lot of joy.
7) A good show / good read. I love when a show or book sucks me into their world and makes me forget the reality even more importantly my phone. A smart show/book that makes me ask myself questions after I have completed them gives me joy. I am always truly filled with joy when I have witnessed a brilliant piece of work that is quite impressive.
8) Travelling: Pre-pandemic, I was a huge fan of traveling, exploring new cities and neighborhoods. Discovering new cultures and traditions makes me marvel at how human beings are so different yet the same. We all crave the same recognition, community, love, and appreciation for beauty. As much as I love planning and things going according to structure, I have found that there is joy in doing unplanned things and going off the beaten path. It's amazing what you find when you're not looking!
9) Driving. Anyone that knows me knows I love driving. Moving to Canada unlocked a new level of love I had for driving. Being able to drive on highways for long stretches with good music is incredibly therapeutic. I also find that I am able to sort through my thoughts and make life decisions whilst I am driving. I'm no Formula 1 driver though and certainly cannot be cast as an extra in Fast and Furious (whatever number it is)
10) A good church service. The perfect church service for me is excellent praise and worship which truly explores the beauty and love of God. Hillsong church did this so well when I used to attend. Then a good sermon that actually teaches you and impacts you to be a better person or approach situations in your life in a better way. It was only a few years ago that I realized that contrary to the preaching styles I grew up with where pastors are "yelling/shouting" A pastor can simply just say what they have to say in conversational tones. This was a game-changer for me. It absolutely doesn't lessen the impact and in fact, has more impact on me. I often come away from those services feeling incredibly privileged and lucky.
That's it! my ten things that spark joy!
What sparks joy for you? share in the comment section below!
Until next time!